Monday, October 3, 2011

Looking Back

So I moved from town A about 2 hours south to town B for a job. Now taking the job was the appropriate choice for my career path (and the extra money and cheaper cost of living doesn't hurt). In that move I also moved from a very active community to a not as active community with people that I don't know. It took me about 3 months to finally get comfortable with the crowd in town A (and that was attending munches every week) and even though I am not quite as slow as I was at the time, I know it will take me a while to open up to a new group of people.

Anyhow, I find myself seeing ads for events in town A and feel a wistful longing for the ability to go back and really BE more adventurous with that crowd now that I am no longer there.  And of course yes, I do still talk to some people from town A, and it is not so far a distance and not so far a time ago that I could not attend an event and be welcome etc. 

But, at the same time I drive a lot for work (so my gas bill is already pretty big), I will be in town B for at least 2 years total (so I should at least attempt to make connections in town B), and it is very possible that after my 2 years are up I will be heading to town C (TBD) to pursue a doctorate of some sort.  

I would like to say that I would be attending all sorts of community type activities if I was still in town A, going out every weekend to get beat up (or at least watch others get beat upWink).  The truth is, I would most likely be increasing my activity in the community for sure, maybe not to the extent that I imagine of course.  So I guess the overall thought is similar to "the grass is always greener on the other side."  The kink is always sexier in the old neighborhood.



No comments:

Post a Comment